Most of Chinese like this simple dish, we can often order it in restaurent and cook it at home as well.
3 oriental cucumbers
1/2 medium-sized carrot
2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
5 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 chilli pepper, sliced
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Scrub cucumber skin well.
2. Cut cucumbers lengthways into quarters. Cut crossways into finger-length pieces.
3. Slice carrot into matchstick-sized slivers.
4. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt over cucumbers and carrot. Mix in.
5. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours (longer time equals more tender vegetables).
6. Rinse off salt and drain.
7. Add remaining teaspoon of salt, rice vinegar, garlic, chilli pepper, sugar. Mix well.
8. Refrigerate for a further 3 to 4 hours, mix and serve.
Notes: For a variation add a teaspoon of finely diced ginger. You can substitute the cucumber with other vegetables, such as kohlrabi, cabbage or Chinese cabbage.