- Place the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and mix together. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Put the leg of lamb into another large saucepan or flameproof casserole. Pour over the sauce. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 1 ½ hours, turning every 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the sauce, then leave to marinate for further 3 hours (or overnight)
- About 1 hour before serving, place the lamb in a roasting pan and put into a preheated moderate oven (180°C/350°F, Gas Mark 4). Cook for 1 hour.
- Slice the lamb into large bite-sized pieces and serve hot or cold with dips such as hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sherry mixed together, or soy sauce and vinegar mixed together.
1 x 4-5 lbs leg of lamb
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 slices ginger root, shredded
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cups stock
- 5 tbsps soy sauce
- 3 tbsps bean sauce or hoisin sauce
- 2 tsps dried chili pepper or chili sauce
- ½ tsp 5-spice powder
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 ¼ cups red wine
- 2 chicken stock cubes