Try this chicken recipe and is worth the effort. The chicken gravy is great when serve with rice. Keep the remainder gravy in the fridge and reuse for the next round. The flavour will become more tasty with each time it is cooked. You can add this sauce to flavour other dishes or add to noodles.
1.5 kg chicken, cleaned, removed excess fat
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup dark soya sauce
1/4 cup light soya sauce
1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon seseme oil
2 tablespoon crushed rock sugar
1 large clove garlic
8 slices fresh ginger
2 spring onion, cut into 1 inch size
2 whole star anise
1. Choose a pot just enough to hold chicken so that it is just submerged in the cooking liquid.
2. Put the chicken into with breast down and add all the ingredients except the seseme oil.
3. Cover chicken bring to the boil and slowly turn the heat down to simmer chicken gently for 15 minutes.
4. Slowly turn chicken over without piercing its skin. Replace the lid and simmer chicken for further 15 minutes, basting chicken for every 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and leaves chicken submerged in liquid in the pot for 45 minutes. Lift chicken out, and drain away the liquid back into the pot.
6. Brush the chicken all over with seseme oil. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and assemble on the serving plate. Serve some of the gravy as dipping sauce.